Monday, August 9, 2010

A Bag of Ruffles Potato Chips


The day after my accident my dad came in to see me. He brought me a bag of Ruffle's potato chips: my favorite snack back then. Today I have to snack on celery and carrot sticks - oh the joys of getting older!

Anyway, life in those days was very difficult for my siblings and me. My dad was a very angry person. We never knew what kind of mood we'd find him in, so life was one long walk on eggshells. When I saw that he had brought my favorite snack, I thought to myself, "Maybe dad won't be mad at me this time."

But there in my hospital room came the statement that made me very angry for the next five years.

There I was, a little boy, afraid, hurting from head to toe, blind in one eye, wanting in the worst way to go home, and yet my dad, in a very angry tone of voice, turned to me and said, "If you would have listened to me, none of this would have ever happened!" What I needed at that time from my dad was love and comfort, not a scolding. Yet all I got was further confirmation from him that I wasn't worthy of love or comfort. I was still the no-good person that wouldn't amount to anything.

That's what he always told me, and I started believing it was true.

In the book of Proverbs it says: "Life and death are in the power of the tongue."

Parents, please hear me! The words you say to your children are as important as anything else you do for them. Either our words will bring life to them or our words will wound them tremendously. Children are such precious gifts from God. Take good care of them.

From the age of 12 to about 17 my life became very difficult for me. I opened up the door and anger came in to camp out. I know hate is a very strong word, but I must be honest: I literally hated my dad all those years.

I will share at another time how the hatred turned to love and compassion.

Stay tuned, and God's Speed!

No comments:

Post a Comment